October 28, 2010

Lift every voice and sing

Kathy Proulx & Co. have graciously agreed to sing at our Victory Celebration this Sunday at 1pm.

I doubt you'll be hearing any of these ditties then, but they gave me pause to reconsider how we can transform our culture in myriad ways, and often unexpectedly:

“PAPA DON’T PREACH” BY MADONNA
Read lyrics | Watch on YouTube
EXCERPT:
You always taught me right from wrong
I need your help, daddy please be strong
I may be young at heart
But I know what I’m saying
But I made up my mind, I’m keeping my baby
“ICICLE MELTS” BY THE CRANBERRIES
Read lyrics | Watch on YouTube
EXCERPT:
How, how could you hurt the child,
How could you hurt the child?
Now, does this make you satisfied,
Satisfied, satisfied?
I don’t know what’s happening to people today,
When a child, child, child, child, he was taken away.
There’s a place for the baby that died,
And there’s time for the mother who cried.
“SLIDE” BY THE GOO GOO DOLLS
Read lyrics | Watch on YouTube
EXCERPT:
Don’t you love the life you killed
The priest is on the phone
…May put your arms around me
What you feel is what you are
And what you are is beautiful
May do you wanna get married
Or run away
“THE FRESHMAN” BY THE VERVE PIPE
Read lyrics | Watch on YouTube
EXCERPT:
When I was young I knew everything
She a punk who rarely ever took advice
Now I’m guilt stricken, sobbing with my head on the floor
Stop a baby’s breath and a shoe full of rice
There's even more such excerpts from pop music melodies at this link.

Do you know a lyric that has given you pause to wonder if the singer was meaning to be pro-life?