October 07, 2011

Pro-Life across America

Are you pro-life all over?

Do you put on your proverbial 'pro-life hat' when put on your 40DFL pin, and then take it off again when you finish your hour of prayer?

I have a bumper sticker advertising 40DFL on my car. I sometimes worry that my driving habits may not be consistent with the message I am trying to propose to those in traffic behind me.

But it's not just traffic laws I have to obey. Am I following God's laws in every aspect of my life? How faithfully do I live out the Golden Rule each day?

Being deprived (actually it's a kind of reward) of prayer in front of an abortion clinic up here in Alpena has forced me to consider how many other ways I live out my commitment to being pro-life. I volunteer at the Baby Pantry, where mothers can get free diapers and 'shop' for free clothes.

I could also volunteer at a soup kitchen and value the human dignity of homeless people. I should check in with my wife and ask her how much she feels valued by her husband. Do I reverence her dignity? Do we speak ill of other people? Do we guard our tongues, our thoughts, even when we're not in public?

The beauty of this vigil is that it forces us to look within ourselves. What must you and I do to make God's love more apparent to those who know us? If the women choosing abortion at 320 see us and our loving peacefulness, don't you think that will make an impression?
But what if only God could see us, deep in the silence of our hearts- would we want God to see in there too? Would God like what we do when we're not standing on a sidewalk praying?

Let's ask God to make our hearts as open to every human life we meet as we expect these mothers to be to the life of their child. Let's begin to look on every person as one made in the image and likeness of God.